Blueberry Bacon Chutney
Here’s great recipe that features two favorite foods – blueberries and bacon. The two combine for some great flavours. This is perfect to add some zing to your burgers, sandwiches and other BBQ’d meat.
- 1 cup (150 g) B.C. blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup (150 g) Thick sliced bacon, diced
- ½ cup (75 g) Shallot, finely diced
- ½ cup (75 g) Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- ½ cups (120 ml) Apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) Maple syrup
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Orange zest, finely grated
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) Ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp (1.5 ml) Ground clove
Yields 1.5 cups
- In a medium pan, fry the diced bacon over medium heat, until light brown, but not crispy.
- Strain the bacon and reserve 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat.
- Using the same skillet, add the bacon fat, blueberries, shallot, apple, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, black pepper and clove.
- Bring to a boil and continue to simmer, on a medium-low heat, for 45- 60 minutes until thick and reduced.
- Add the cooked bacon and orange zest.
- Serve at room temperature.
Recipe courtesy of BC Blueberry Council: http://www.bcblueberry.com/