Mexican Street Corn Salad
This recipe is courtesy of Lepp Farm Market.
This is such a great summer dish, and a definite crowd pleaser. Spooning it into individual serving cups makes a beautiful presentation for a party. It’s also delicious added to tacos or served with nachos. Cotija is a Mexican cheese, available here at Lepp Farm Market and is similar to feta, less salty with just a bit more tang.
- 8 ears corn, husked
- 1 fresh poblano pepper OR 2 fresh jalapeños, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup Cotija cheese, crumbled (substitute feta cheese if Cotija is unavailable)
- Juice of one lime, about 1/4 cup
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. Tajin Classic, a Mexican chili lime spice available at ethnic markets and most large supermarkets. Alternately, use Triple Smoke Texx-Mexx seasoning and increase lime juice to 2 limes.
- Coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Optional additions: drained and rinsed black beans and/or diced avocado. Note that if you add avocado it will discolor as it sits.
- Preheat BBQ grill to medium heat. Brush corn and poblano pepper (if using) with a light layer of vegetable or olive oil. Place corn and poblano pepper directly on grill, turning every few minutes until kernels are tender when pierced with a knife, and skin of pepper is completely charred, about 10 minutes. Place pepper in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and leave for 15 minutes until cool.
- Alternately, if you don’t want to grill the corn, cut the kernels from the uncooked husks, and saute corn kernels and diced pepper in butter until softened. OR, cook a few extra cobs for dinner and once cooled, cut the kernels from the cooled cobs and use those.
- Cut kernels from cooled corn cobs.
- Peel skin and seeds from pepper, dice.
- Combine corn, poblano or jalapeno, red onion, red pepper and cheese in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together mayonnaise and lime juice; stir in cilantro.
- Pour over vegetables, stirring well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Spoon into individual cups, garnish with a lime wedge, cilantro leaf and sprinkle of Tajin.