Pork Tacos with Blueberry Pineapple Salsa
Here’s a great summer recipe that features blueberries in a way you may not have thought of. It’s bright, colourful, tasty and a visual treat. A sure hit for backyard barbeques and sure to impress all. It starts with BC pork and blueberries.
- 1 cup (150 g) B.C. Blueberries, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup (65 g) Onion, diced
- 2 tbsp (20 g) Fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Chipotle pepper (canned in adobe sauce), chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Salt
- 1 tsp (5ml) Pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Sweet paprika
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) Thyme, fresh or dry
- 3-4 lb (1.5 kg) Pork shoulder
Blueberry Pineapple Jicama Salsa
- 1 cup (150 g) B.C Blueberries, fresh or frozen
- ¾ cup (125 g) Pineapple , fresh or canned, diced
- ½ cup (75 g) Jicama, diced
- 1 tbsp (10 g) Jalapeño pepper, de-seeded and finely diced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Lime juice
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) Salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) Pepper
To Serve 12 4-6” Corn tortillas
- In a sauce pan, on a medium-low heat, cook the blueberries, onion, garlic, chipotle, salt, pepper, paprika and thyme until reduced, breaking down the mixture with a spoon.
- Cool completely and spread over the pork to marinade in the refrigerator for 1- 5 hours.
- Cook marinated pork in an uncovered roasting pan on low heat (275F/135C) for 4-5 hours.
- Allow to rest and cool. Separate and shred into small pieces.
- Mix together the blueberries, pineapple, jicama, jalapeño, cilantro, lime, salt and pepper and set aside.
To Serve Warm tortillas in oven or microwave for 15-30 seconds. Line the tortilla with shredded pork then top with salsa.
Yields: 12-16 tacos
Recipe courtesy of BC Blueberry Council