Turkey Soup with White Beans, Vegetables and Pesto
Are you looking ahead to what to do with leftover turkey after Christmas? Here is a great turkey soup recipe from Thrifty Foods that is so hearty it is almost a meal on its own.
- Makes: 10 servings
- Type Of Dish: Dinner
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced (see Note)
- 1 medium celery rib, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 6 cups turkey or chicken stock
- 2 cups diced cooked turkey
- 1 (14 oz./ 398 mL) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (19 oz./ 540 mL) can white kidney beans
- 3 Tbsp. pesto
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place oil in a large pot set over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot and bell pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Mix in the tomato paste and cook 2 minutes more.
- Mix in the stock, diced tomatoes, turkey and beans. Bring the soup to a simmer. Simmer 20 minutes. Mix in the pesto and heat through 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and the soup is ready.
- Note: “Diced” means to cut into 1/4-inch cubes.
- Recipe Options: This soup freezes well. To do so, once cooled to room temperature, ladle into freezer containers, label and date, and freeze for up to two months.
Thanks to Thrifty Foods for the recipe!