Oven Baked Crispy Chicken
Here is a great recipe from Lepp Farm Market for all you fried chicken lovers that has the same great flavour without the calories and mess.
Here is how Charlotte Lepp describes the recipe:
Like most people, I love fried chicken but hate the mess and extra calories of deep frying and found this recipe so flavourful and easy that I’m now a baked chicken convert! I experimented with two methods, first dredging the chicken in egg wash and then flour, or marinating in buttermilk, and I definitely prefer the extra tang and moistness the buttermilk provides. If you have a favorite bottled spice blend you prefer, by all means substitute that for the spices listed; our own Beer Can Chicken Rub or a steak spice like House of Q Rub would work. I also tried flipping the chicken over halfway through cooking but found that I lost some of the crispy coating in doing that. This chicken is delicious served at room temperature and so would make an excellent dish for a summer picnic or neighbourhood potluck.
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken legs, approx 2 lbs, left whole or divided into drumsticks and thighs (could also substitute chicken tenders or breast, just reduce cooking time)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Smak Dab Curry Mustard, or ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp celery salt
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 4 tbsp butter or olive oil or mixture of both
- Place the chicken parts with the skin on in a plastic bag and pour the buttermilk and mustard in to coat. Squeeze the air out of the bag and seal. Smoosh the chicken and buttermilk around with your hands to coat evenly and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes minimum or up to several hours.
- Preheat your oven to 425°F. In a shallow plate like a pie plate, mix together the flour, Panko, Parmesan Cheese, baking powder and herbs and spices. Set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil. Place 2 tbsp. Butter or oil on sheet and allow to preheat in oven for a few minutes so butter melts. While pan is heating up remove the chicken from the buttermilk, shaking off excess, and dredge in the seasoned flour mixture, coating on all sides. I try and use one hand (wet) for holding the chicken and one hand (dry) for dredging but usually end up forgetting and just getting clumpy fingers everywhere!
- Arrange the chicken pieces on top of melted butter with plenty of room on each side so they “fry” not “steam”. Drizzle the top of the chicken with the remaining 2 tbsp. of melted butter or oil. If you happen to have oil (not Pam) in a spray can, that works great, evenly spray all over chicken.
- Bake for 40 minutes, uncovered, or until internal temperature reads 165°F.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.
Thanks to Lepp Farm Market for this great recipe!