Twice Baked Potato with Egg on Top
Here’s a great idea for breakfast or brunch that combines our love of baked potatoes with a nutritional boast of fresh eggs. You can spice it up with some fresh salsa if you prefer a hot start to your day. Combine it with some fresh fruit, bacon or sausage, coffee or tea and you’re all set.
- 2 medium russet potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil or 1 tbsp butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
- 4 oz. (100 g) low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh chives, chopped
- 4 small eggs
Prep Time: 20min | Cook Time: 45min
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Scrub potatoes, pierce them with a fork and put them in the oven for 30-40 minutes until soft.
- In a large frying pan heat oil or butter over medium high heat.
- Sauté the onion with garlic for about 5 minutes until soft.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, scoop the interior out of each leaving about 1/4 inch shell of potato flesh and skin.
- Add the scooped out potato flesh, grated cheese, salt and pepper into the pan and stir well to combine.
- Place the potato shells on the baking sheet and fill them with the mixture.
- Press the mixture with a spoon so a hole is formed to make space for the eggs.
- Sprinkle chives on top and crack an egg on top of each half potato.
- Cook at 200°C (400°F) for 10-15 minutes until the egg is set.
- The whites should be set while the yolks are a bit runny.
Recipe by: HomeCookingAdventure